Every Letter Is In Red

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Uncommon Sense

John Shore is a Christian writer who wrote an article titled, “Toward a Christianity of Common Sense.”

I would like to comment on some of his points, because I think the article articulates a lot of what is wrong with many Christian leaders of today. I do not feel they quite understand Christianity. If they do, they are attempting to make it something else, and by that, make God something else. We can all try to be better Christians, but when we decide we are more moral than God, that is when I have a problem. We should not be shaping God into our image.

Mr. Shore begins with this statement: “Without question, I’m a Christian.” And I won't argue that point.

If he has asked Jesus to be his Lord and Savior and repented of his sins then who am I to say he is not. But then if he is, I find it even more disturbing that he (and many others) seem to be giving believer and non-believers some odd information. (His statements in bullet points)

• "'No one comes to the Father except through me' does not mean that only Christians will be allowed into heaven. It means that Jesus decides who does and doesn't make the cut."

And he has this insight, how? I mean, I believe Jesus decides, but the inference is that you do not have to believe in Jesus.

But, Jesus said you do. Examples:

John 14:6 “No one comes to the father except through me.”

Acts 4:12 “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under Heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”

John 10:1 “I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in some other way, is a thief and a robber.”

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

I do not read that to say, “that whoever Jesus feels is best, will have eternal life.”

Shane Claiborne has mentioned John 3:17 as a way of proving his view of Universalism.

“For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” (John 3:17)

Now if this was the one verse, maybe I would agree with Claiborne. But we have the very famous verse before it, as well as this one right after.

“Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only son.” (John 3:18)

Now we all have friends who are nonbelievers. Family members. Nothing seems worse than thinking they might not join us in eternity. So we try not to think about it at all. We tell ourselves they are good people, so they will be fine.

They are not good people. No matter how much good they might be doing for others, they are not good. Neither are you. Neither am I.

Not one of us is truly “good.” That is why we need God’s grace. Good luck getting to perfect without it.

• "God's will and intention is to forgive and teach us, not judge and punish us."

This is one of those loaded statements that I love oh so much. It is saying that God does not judge, when it is very plain in Scripture that He does. Does He want to forgive and teach us over judging us? I would say so. But we can’t leave out the uncomfortable parts of God, just because we want. He is right to judge and has all authority in doing so.

• "The only person who should be actively endeavoring to convert non-Christians into Christians is God. Jesus does not need our help drawing people toward him. He does need our help -- or could certainly use it, anyway -- making sure that people know that they are loved."

This is my issue with these statements. Telling a nonbeliever about Jesus Christ is showing them love. If I love someone, I want them to be aware of something I’m really into. But some people will gladly show you the latest film or music they are into, but not ever mention Jesus. Why? Because then you are pushing religion on them? I’ve never been accused of pushing Beethoven on to anyone. If you don’t like the music, I’ll leave you alone. But I am going to play it for you, because I think its great music. And I think a relationship with Jesus Christ is a bit more important than Beethoven.

If we truly love someone, we help them. We ask them to be with us serving the Lord for eternity.

“As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.” (Revelation 3:19)

• "The single most telling indicator of a person's moral character has nothing to do with how he or she defines or worships God, and everything to do with how he or she treat others."

Ok, I believe this is called “Moralism.” Moralism is not Christianity. Should Christians have strong character? Yes. If we have truly repented, then we are actively trying to be more Christ like. But the implication here is that we can work our way to Heaven. The whole point is that we cannot do it on our own. You are never going to reach perfect. Only Christ accomplished that.

What Christ did for us does not make common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment